Backend development languages for website and apps that can handle the ‘behind-the-scenes’ functionality of web applications. It’s code that connects the web to a database, manages user connections, and powers the web application itself.
Top 10 backend languages of 2021
- Open Source
- Platform Independent
- Case Sensitive
- Platform Independent
- Error Reporting
- Loosely Typed Language
- Real-Time Access Monitoring
PHP Frameworks for Backend Web Development: Laravel, CodeIgniter, Symfony, etc.
Popular websites that are using PHP: WordPress, MailChimp, Flickr, etc.
- Easy to code
- Free and Open Source.
- Object-Oriented Language
- Programming Support
- High-Level Language
- Extensible feature
- Python is Portable language
- Python is Integrated language
- Interpreted Language
- Large Standard Library
- Dynamically Typed Language
Python Frameworks for Backend Web Development: Django, Flask, Pyramid, etc.
Popular websites that are using Python: Spotify, Pinterest, Instacart, etc.
- Expressive feature.
- Visual appearance.
- Dynamic typing and Duck typing.
- Exception handling.
- Garbage collector.
Ruby Frameworks for Backend Web Development: Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, Grape, etc.
Popular websites that are using Ruby: Airbnb, Shopify, Slideshare, etc
- Java is a object-oriented and concurrent programming language
- It translates Java byte code into a language that can be interpreted by the machines. JVM forms a part of JRE (Java Runtime Environment).
- Platform Independent Language
- It uses an engine called JVM (Java Virtual Machine) which provides a runtime environment to run the Java Code and its applications
Java Frameworks for Backend Web Development: Spring, Struts, Grails
Popular websites that are using Java: LinkedIn, IRCTC, Yahoo, etc.
- Mission critical. Used for mission critical projects in the public and private sectors.
- Object-oriented, procedural and functional. Supports object-oriented, procedural and functional programming.
- Easily extendible.
- Text manipulation.
- Unicode support.
- Database integration.
- C/C++ library interface.
Popular apps that are using Perl: IMDB, BBC, Duckduckgo
- Modern programming language.
- Object oriented.
- Type safe.
- Scalable and Updateable.
- Component oriented.
- Structured programming language.
C# Frameworks for Backend Web Development: .NET
Popular websites that are using C#: GoDaddy, Marketwatch, Stack Overflow, etc.
- Object-Centered Script Language
- Client edge Technology
- Validation of User’s Input
- Else and If Statement
- Interpreter Centered
- Ability to perform In Built Function
- Case Sensitive format
- Light Weight and delicate
- Statements Looping
- Handling Events
- Object-oriented language
- Type inference.
- Singleton object.
- Runs on JVM
- Lazy computation.
- Case classes and Pattern matching.
- Concurrency control.
- String interpolation.
- Higher order function.
Popular apps that are using Scala: Akka, Spark, Slick
- Kotlin is Open-Source.
- Kotlin Supports Full Java Interoperability. …
- Kotlin Comes With Lazy-Loading Feature. …
- Data Classes in Kotlin. …
- Collection Filtering. …
- Extension Functions. …
- Reduces Crashes at Runtime. …
- Smart Cast Function.
Popular apps that are using Kotlin: Square, Trello, Slack
- Zero cost abstraction
- Error messages
- Move semantics
- Threads without data races
- Pattern matching
- Guaranteed memory safety
- Efficient C bindings
- Safe memory space allocation
- Minimal time
It is use to develop in-house and OSS software, and used for infrastructure/devops tools as well as cryptographic key management services.
There are many more backend language that you can used for developing app or website, above are used in today’s world.
These programming languages often run on frameworks that simplify the web development process. Rails, for example, is a framework written in Ruby.